Monday 20 June 2011

Evaluation

For this unit we had to create several game scenes which would be seen in a game created by us. they would be manipulated into the style of a game. To start off we had to go to Dartmoor which is a nature reserve in Devon. here we had to collect images and ideas to create our game scenes.


Once we had these images and gathered our ideas for our game scenes, we practised line drawings on paper and researched them aswell to get an idea of how we would design our character.


After this I scanned in an image of a mannequin which i had drew. I then opened it up in photoshop and used the pen tool to go around my image and added a stroke to the pen tool. I then made the image symmetrical, all in the same place just opposite each other. I then started to create my wooden mannequin by getting a few wooden textures then manipulating them onto my mannequin. I then turned the opacity down on the wooden texture layer, then added a new layer behind with a solid wood colour. This made it darker and more wooden. I then used the burn tool to ad some shaded detail to make it more 3D. I then made the silver mannequin. I used the same technique, just changed the colour of the solid coloured layer, to silver. I then used the dodge and burn tool to give shining detail and some shaded areas to the body. I used the same technique her to make the gold mannequin except i changed the solid colour layer colour to a gold-ish colour and set the blending mode to divide. I then used the dodge and burn tools to add a shine and some shading.


I then went on to making my first token. I made it a wooden texture as the wooden mannequin has to find them. I started off by finding a wood texture on the internet, them manipulating it in photoshop. I then made my coin shape and outline by stroking several paths made by the elliptical marquee tool. i then filled in all the gaps with wood colours. I then placed my wood texture behind this coloured layer and turned the opacity down. I then added my mannequin outline and edited the colour of it and the bevel and emboss.



I then went on to making my final designs. I opened three images which I took from Dartmoor and opened up my three images of mannequins, one wood, one silver, one gold. I then added a filter called fresco to each image background. I also opened my images of tokens. I then placed a mannequin into each image. I then used the transform tool to resize a place each mannequin into the image and make it look more realistic. I then used layer masks and the brush tool to hide parts of the mannequins behind objects like trees or rock to make them fit into the image properly. I did this with the coins as well.

My background images give the impression that its a mystical quite place in which this mannequin creature is living in and investigating. I chose to use images which had a main focus rather than a landscape image so that when it cam to manipulating it it would still have a focus and give the impression that there are several areas to this game. When placing the characters into the image, I decided that no facial expression would be needed, as they were a mysterious character. Below are my final images which I have manipulated into an in game scene.

If I were to do this again I would use a different character as my mannequin was just a drawing that i made whereas if i used a different character I would have to create a new one from scratch, rather than falling back on previous work. Also I would use different tokens as my coins were quite an obvious and common token to be involved within a game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment